THE BOMBAY SEMINARY: AT FORT: The First Failure
For seven years the Bombay Seminary shared its quarters with the Bishop’s House. However the Vicar, Bishop Charles, was dissatisfied with the arrangement. In 1775 he sought permission from Propaganda to build an independent Seminary. The reply dated September 28, 1776 listed the following instructions among others:
Let a house be rented and Propaganda would pay the rent
Antonio Pinto da Gloria (previously sent to Rome for further studies) would serve as a qualified professor
If this initiative succeeded, Propaganda promised to envision a better plan to establish an independent Seminary.